Beyond Bacon, Paleo Recipes that Respect the Whole Hog
We have a passion for food quality. Our visit to Mount Vernon Farm and Polyface last year sparked a passion in Stacy for sustainable farming. Healthy fats and protein from pastured animals have greatly improved Stacy’s digestive health. But it’s not cheap – so we began buying whole animals to make it more affordable. Committed to using every part of that animal, out of respect, brought us to where we are today.
The paleo community loves bacon. But pastured pork is the most affordable per-pound meat we could find. When your chest freezer is full with whole pastured pigs regularly, you learn to cook it all. And we mean ALL. Like most great partnership marriages, we found a happy place where Stacy’s passion for pastured pork met with Matt’s talent to cook it – and now, a book baby will be born.
Beyond Bacon pays homage to the humble hog by teaching you how to make more than a hundred recipes featuring cuts from the entire animal. While bacon might be the most popular part of the pig for those following the paleo diet, there is a plethora of other delicious and nutrient dense cuts to enjoy.
Pastured pork is rich in Omega 3 fatty acids and conjugated linoleic acid (CLA), the “good fats” our doctors want us to eat – not to mention high in Vitamin D, a deficiency for most Americans. Beyond Bacon breaks the myths behind this often eschewed meat and shows you how create delectable dishes that are grain-, legume-, dairy-, and refined sugar-free. Beyond Bacon allows you to improve your health and the environment by focusing on sustainable swine.
Don’t let the dried out pork of your youth scare you away! All the recipes in Beyond Bacon are elegant yet approachable, making it the ultimate cookbook for the foodie in you. You’ll find:
- Perfect Pork Chops, better than most restaurant steaks,
- Pho Soup with chitterling “noodles” and other healing and delicious soups and stews to stretch your dollar,
- the already-famous-among-recipe-testers Savory Bacon Jam fantastic with green apples or our Homestyle Biscuits
- sweet treats made luxuriously rich with lard, such as Grain-Free Pie Crust, Salted Mocha Biscotti, Fudge, and Maple Lard Scones,
- instructions on how to properly BBQ and smoke your meats as well as recipes to make your own sauces,
- instructions for curing your own bacon, pancetta and even home-made sausage better than store bought,
- details on how to properly fry foods, like Corn Dogs with Sweet Potato Crisps and Sweet & Sour Pork, and
- an extensive guide on how to make and cook with the nutrient dense essentials: pork stock and CLA-rich lard.
Beyond Bacon delivers mouth-watering photos for each delicious recipe. With a rustic aesthetic and appreciation for tradition, Beyond Bacon recreates the rich and wonderful food perfected generations ago, in a healthful way.
Find out more about Beyond Bacon with the following links:
Eat Like a Dinosaur, recipe and guidebook for gluten-free kids
Whether your family eats a standard diet, is gluten-free casein-free (gfcf) , follows the principals of the Weston A Price Foundation (WAPF) or is, like us, Paleo or Primal, this book will help you cook healthful and tasty foods, together. With over 100 recipes, projects and lunch box ideas for families to make together and an illustrated children’s story, this recipe and guidebook for children will help you put healthy food your kids will be excited to try on the table and in their lunchboxes.
And you can use the parents chapter to get educated, stock your kitchen and reconfigure your mind to get ready to start making healthier versions of kids’ favorites. Spark conversation about how removing processed foods from your diet can change the health of your family with our illustrated kid’s story! Healthful family eating is approachable and fun, even for picky eaters, with this book designed for a child’s eye. Get ready for some seriously awesome recipes like Anytime Cookies, Frozen Waffles, and Chicken Nuggets.
Our family’s health has been overwhelmingly improved by removing processed foods and cooking together – this book is a tool for your family to use, be inspired by and get excited for food to do the same for you.
Find out more about ELaD with the following links:
- View our Press Release here!
- Eat Like a Dinosaur – What & Why (our inspiration story)
- Eat Like a Dinosaur – Sample Pages & VIDEO Preview
- Eat Like a Dinosaur – Recipes in the Book (links on the site to recipes also in the book)
- Eat Like a Dinosaur – Frequently Asked Questions
If you’re finding this blog for the first time as a result of our books: Hello, welcome! Feel free to find out more information About Our Story or check out our Start Here 101 for more information and some good links that might be helpful in getting started on your own journey. We hope you stay and look forward to talking with you!