Because Stacy has been working so much, thus leaving me without a competent photographer, I’ve not done much cooking. In fact, the amount of US Wellness Meats hotdogs and scrambled eggs being consumed around here is nothing short of embarrassing.
On the weekends, however, we pack a lot of family-centered activities in to make up for lost time. This Saturday, Stacy and the boys were thrilled to make it to their regular farmers’ market and returned with two quarts of super ripe strawberries.
If you’ve ever had organic, just picked strawberries you know they don’t last very long. So what to do with the juicy ladies? Let’s make some Sunday brunch muffins!
The boys said they wanted a strawberry muffin “with crumblies on top” so what follows is our nutty version of a streusel muffin. The best part is, there’s nothing but fruit sweetening this cupcake-like-confection. Enjoy!
Strawberry Streusel Muffins
- ♥ In a food processor, pulse together topping ingredients until crumbly mixture forms – set aside
- ♥ In a clean food processor, chop dates until a thick paste forms
- ♥ Add coconut oil, eggs and vanilla and pulse to combine
- ♥ Add remaining ingredients and process just until a thick batter forms, scraping the sides with a spatula
- ♥ Fold in strawberries and juice, which will loosen the batter a bit
- ♥ Spoon 1/4 C batter into a lined muffin tin and sprinkle topping on top
- Bake for 25 minutes at 350 degrees until edges begin to brown
- Store at room temperature for no more than a day before transferring to a chilled storage location (freezes well)
Makes 1 dozen cupcakes and a bit of leftover batter for spoon licking. Steps marked with a ♥ are for your hatchlings to assist with!
The muffins were a big hit! An even bigger hit? We used the leftover dates to make bacon wrapped almond stuffed dates to go with our brunch muffins. We were satiated until the next mealtime, while also feeling “treated” on our lazy Sunday morning focusing on family time!
If you’re looking for a sweeter variation on strawberry baked goods, I also highly recommend Elana’s Strawberry Cupcakes – which we made for Wesley’s 1st birthday and are just fabulous!