It’s MARCH! That means Eat Like a Dinosaur is just around the corner! In honor of our book’s release, we are the Featured Chef this month over at US Wellness Meats. We’ll be sharing a brand new recipe every week this month featuring products from the preeminent online pastured meat distributor. We’ve tried a BUNCH of US Wellness Meat items and can tell you two things: (1) We’ve never been disappointed (2) Their customer service is phenomenal!
You may remember when we went on our little honeymoon after our vow renewal to a bed and breakfast in Lovettsville, Virginia? While we were there, we had a fantastic breakfast that included a German anise-flavored pork sausage. Stacy LOVED it. I promised her we would recreate the delicious breakfast treat when we got home.
You should have seen Stacy and I standing around the island in our kitchen sniffing various spice combinations to figure out right blend! I think commercially available perfumes might be less researched. But, I think we finally figured it out and hope you really enjoy it! If you have casings, feel free to use this to fill them, but they work just as well loose and formed into patties, as we did. Quite frankly, they were consumed so quickly it’s just not worth the effort!
¼ C ice water
1 Tbsp whole anise seeds
1 tsp salt
½ tsp dried thyme
¼ tsp coriander
¼ tsp garlic powder
¼ tsp black pepper
1 lb. ground pork
The US Wellness Meats pork is INSANELY GOOD – lots of great pastured fat
- ♥ In a small bowl, whisk together ice water and spices, let sit for 5 minutes
- ♥ Pour spice mixture into pork and mix by hand until water is completely incorporated and spices are evenly distributed
- Heat pan over medium-high heat
- ♥ Use an ice cream scoop (or scant 1/4 cup) to measure and form sausage into ½” thick patties – they cook down (makes about 15 patties)
- Cook each side about five minutes until browned; drain pan in between batches or else the next batch won’t sear (save your grease!)
- Set on a micro-towel or other absorbent material, then eat warm!
Any step marked with a ♥ is a step your little licorice lover can assist with. If you like the sweet and salty of bacon, we think you’ll love this unsweetened-but-sweet sugar-free sausage! This will certainly become a staple for our morning breakfasts!