♥ Make sure to read to the end of this post for your chance to WIN these two cookbooks! ♥
We met Josh about a year or so ago and were really quite taken by his story and his determination. At only 16 years of age, he had decided to take his health into his own hands and change his life by embracing a healthier style of eating. Braving the slings and arrows of outrageous teen peers, he completely recovered his health and lost an astounding amount of weight. Read more on this in the guest post he wrote for us last year.
Not only that, but he is also extremely talented. The photos on his blog, Slim Palate, jump off the screen and really scream for you to run to the kitchen to make the delicious and appealing food. The arrival of his new cookbook, The Slim Palate Paleo Cookbook, was highly anticipated by us, since we’re pretty fond of him and have been cheering on his continued success.
When it arrived, we decided the best celebration would be to have a dinner party with dishes from both The Slim Palate Paleo Cookbook and the recent Ancestral Table by The Domestic Man, Russ Crandall. We invited Paleo Parent Team Member Courtney to take part.
We made the Slow-Roasted Lamb Shoulder with Parsley Sauce and Pumpkin Blondies from Slim Palate and Courney made the Roasted Cabbage Wedges with Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette from Slim Palate and the New England Clam Chowder from Ancestral Table.
And, because I ran into the old, “OH NO! This lamb was too small for 9 people!” problem, we made some Fool’s Gold Chicken from Eat Like a Dinosaur for the boys to enjoy. Wesley helped by building Lego guys on the floor.
First up was the Slow-Roasted Lamb Shoulder with Parsley Sauce from The Slim Palate Paleo Cookbook. The recipe not only slow roasts the shoulder with rosemary and garlic, but also makes a tangy parsley and caper sauce to go over top. This was an excellent way to enhance the flavor of lamb, my personal favorite meat.
Next was the New England Clam Chowder that came from Ancestral Table. If you know Russ, you know he takes these classic dishes very seriously and crafts them as perfectly as possible. We all really loved the creamy soup with the Omega-3 blast. Perfect for a late winter cold night, and worth every minute it took to make it. A word to those who are very strict about their paleo choices: this dish involves butter, cream and potatoes.
Next was the Roasted Cabbage Wedges with Cilantro-Lime Vinaigrette from Slim Palate. The cabbage slices were tender with just that little hint of sourness that really made it a unique way to eat cabbage. And we love our cabbage! Josh has generously allowed us to share this recipe with you!
- 1 head cabbage, white or green, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 1/2 Tbsp avocado oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 C olive oil
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Brush both sides of the cabbage wedges with the avocado oil and season with salt and pepper. Place the wedges on a baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes, then flip each wedge and continue cooking for 20-25 more minutes or until tender and lightly browned.
- In a small bowl, whisk all vinaigrette ingredients until well combined
- Serve the cabbage wedges with the vinaigrette spooned on top.
Finally, we ended the night with Slim Palate‘s Pumpkin Blondies. Not really the cakey brownie dessert you may be thinking of, but soft and almost custardy like a pumpkin pie. Courtney said it reminded her of pumpkin bread pudding! Really quite the capper for a lovely evening!
We thought that this was a cool way to take a look at new cookbooks on the market: by sharing food with friends, having fun with it and enjoying a pleasant evening! Sharing food prep was a great way to have an elegant meal without all the work and we plan to do more like it. Why don’t you go out and throw a party with your next cookbook purchase? Perhaps The Slim Palate Paleo Cookbook or The Ancestral Table?
GIVEAWAY: Win one of each and we guarantee you’ll love them!
How do you enter? Simple!
- Leave a comment for subscribing to our newsletter
- Leave a comment for liking the The Domestic Man Page and The Slim Palate Page
- Leave a comment for all the forms of social media you follow us on (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, etc.)
- Leave a comment if you place a new review for our podcast, The Paleo View, in iTunes
- Leave a comment if you have left a review for Beyond Bacon and Eat Like a Dinosaur or The Ancestral Table or Slim Palate
Up to 5 entries per person. No purchase required!
Remember Matt’s rules of giveaways:
- Please use a valid email address when entering. I cannot use my dowsing rods to attempt to find which bytes form your contact address!
- Please follow all the rules so I don’t get frustrated by invalid entries. Nothing makes more of a sad panda than picking a winner who I have to disqualify.
- Please respond within 48 hours or I will have to pick a new winner! I have a certain set of skills that make me a nightmare to people who don’t respond: the ability to randomly draw again.
- Please be a US resident. My mana is too low to cast a Teleportation Spell!
Giveaway will end on Sunday, March 16, 2014.