Welcome back for another installment of our Guest Blogger Series that we host every Wednesday! The entire Paleo Parents team spends a LOT of time crushing on other paleo food bloggers…. it borders on stalking really. We are constantly finding new bloggers via Instram and Pinterest and then tagging one another suggesting that we have them on the blog as a guest blogger. Today, we are bringing someone back again to post for a second time, because we think she is just that cool! Jenny, from Paleo Foodie Kitchen has guest posted once before with a great recipe for PlaNeung Manao , a delicious Thai dish of Baked Fish in Lime Garlic Sauce. Yum! We suspect that her cleverly named “Eleveated Brussels Sprouts” will be just as delicious.
Hi everyone! I am happy to be guest posting again on Paleo Parents and today I would like to share with all of you a simple yet versatile take on pan fried Brussels sprouts. It is a well-known fact that sprouts and bacon is a match made in heaven but I wanted to change things up a bit and add cauliflower and use pancetta instead because I wanted a lighter pork flavor but you are always welcome to use bacon!
A pureed roasted red pepper provides additional flavor that combines really well with each element in this dish. Just cut a red bell pepper in half and roast in on the stove until the skin is charred. Don’t feel like roasting your own bell pepper? Store bought ones that come in a jar will also work! Just make sure to check the ingredients for any unnecessary additives.
I like to eat this for breakfast with a sunny side up egg on top or as a side to any type of grilled meat. Try it out and I hope you all like it as much as I do!
- 1 large red bell pepper, washed and cut in half
- 8 oz pancetta
- 1 pound Brussels sprouts, washed and cut in half
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into bite sized florets
- ¼ tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare the red pepper puree by roasting the halved red bell pepper on the stove until the skin is charred. Set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Meanwhile, on a large cast iron pan over medium high heat, pan fry the pancetta until crispy. Remove and set aside. Reduce the heat to medium and add the Brussels sprouts and cauliflower into the pan and season with paprika and onion powder. Cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally until vegetables are browned and can easily be pierced with a fork. Return the pancetta to the pan and mix with the sprouts and cauliflower. Turn off heat.
- To make the puree, remove the stem, seeds and the charred skin from the cooled roasted red pepper.
- Place it in a food processor with black pepper and extra virgin olive oil. Pulse until it is a puree consistency.
- Pour the puree on top of the pancetta and vegetables. Mix until everything is well incorporated. Enjoy!
Connect with Jenny!