Today we are delighted to have Kelly of the beautiful blog, A Girl Worth Saving, to share a recipe for Pizza Burgers. One of the best things about “going Paleo,” is that you don’t have to give up your burgers and fries, you just have to re-think and re-mix them. Instead of hitting a drive through, its really easy to whip up homemade burgers, bake off some sweet potato fries (or fry some in lard, like in our book, Beyond Bacon) and you can easily have an All-American meal that is just as satisfying, and ten times more nutritious. We particularly love the grass fed ground beef from US Wellness Meats, and we also love that they sell discounted bulk packages that we can keep in our freezer for an easy meal any time. Kelly’s idea of Pizza Burgers is great because the toppings are endless, and the idea appeals to both kiddos and adults alike. Take it away Kelly!
My family is addicted to Pepperoni. I kid you not, we go through three packets of the Applegate Pepperoni every week and it was about to become a state of emergency because both of my grocery stores were out of it for 3 weeks. To say my son was grumpy is an understatement. I was getting my fill of 2 ½ year old drama (yes the half is pretty important and if you don’t remember boldly proclaiming yourself an age + half, then you probably grew up in outer space).
Anyhow, I figured it was high time for me to get a little creative in the kitchen and I ended up creating a fun pizza burger recipe that is inspired by the flavors in Pepperoni.
- 1 lb 20% ground beef (Paleo Parents love grass fed ground beef from US Wellness Meats)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp fennel seeds
- ½ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ tsp anise seeds
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Sautéed mushrooms and onions
- Fresh Basil
- Melted Mozzarella cheese (for a Primal Burger) or Macadamia "Ricotta Cheese" (for a dairy free, Paleo Burger)
- Organic Pizza Sauce
- Paleo Hamburger Buns
- Place your cast iron skillet over medium high low heat.
- In a medium bowl combine the ground beef and all of the spices.
- Mix well and shape into four patties.
- Place the patties in the skillet and cook until dark brown, roughly 4 minutes and then flip and repeat.
- Stack on a burger bun with your selected toppings and enjoy!
Connect with Kelly!