We are so thrilled to have Brittany Angell guest post for us today! Although we usually have scrambled eggs, veggies, bacon and Stacy’s Soup for breakfast, on Sundays we like to have a special family brunch where we have a Paleo breakfast treat included in the spread. This recipe for Paleo Trix Cereal is just the type of special breakfast item we like to throw in the mix to keep things interesting, and also make the kids feel like they get to have something that makes them feel like other kids. I know our boys will be begging us to make this soon! Brittany is a wonderful blogger and Allergy Awareness Advocate and she has a real knack for creating recipes that can satisfy nostalgic cravings without having to compromise, like her recipe for Paleo “KFC” Chicken Tenders.
I.LOVE.Breakfast. Love.Love.Love Breakfast. My fixation on breakfast recipes began several years ago when I discovered I had a number of food intolerances, and was left with the big question: What the heck should I eat in the morning??
As an adult, with many allergies and an autoimmune disease I have gotten to a place that I’m ok with having meat and veggies as my breakfast most days, but when I think about all you moms out there, I know can be a bit trickier. Every kid deserves a healthier treat, EVERY kid. My heart in particular goes out to the kids that can’t have an occasional box of cereal because of food intolerances, allergies and or health issues.
I’ve been on a breakfast making crusade. It started with some cereal recipes..and then I wrote an entire e-book with over 40 fun and unique recipes that are all Gluten Free, Grain Free and Paleo (many also egg and nut free too!) You can check out the full recipe list here. Additionally, when you purchase the e-book for $10 you become a VIP Club Angell member which includes all kinds of fun perks. Coupons from 20+ gluten free and paleo companies, weekly bonus recipes, access to forums to get your baking questions answered and more.
I’m a huge fan of the Paleo Parents. Stacy in particular inspires me to no end! (as I’m sure she does many of you!) When given the opportunity to share a recipe with you guys, I knew instantly that it had to be an extra fun kid cereal, that I knew both Stacy and Matt would feel good about giving to their adorable 3 boys!
I hope you love my version of Trix, made with real freeze dried fruit powder. There’s nothing artificial happening here. You don’t need to feel an ounce of guilt when letting your kids dig in. And don’t forget silly rabbit, Trix can be for grownups too!
- ¾ Packed Cup of Blanched Almond Flour
- 1 Cup + 2 Tbsp Tapioca Starch/Flour
- 1/2 Cup each, dehydrated fruit (banana, strawberry, and blueberry), powdered
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1/2- 3/4 cup Coconut Palm Sugar OR granulated honey (depending how sweet you want your cereal)
- 2½ tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 Cup of Mild Flavored Oil or Melted Butter (dairy or nondairy)
- 1 Egg + 1 Egg White
- Preheat Oven to 325 degrees.
- In a food processor add dehydrated banana and process until it becomes a powder.
- Empty food processor, clean out and add next flavor.
- Repeat process.
- Mix together the dry ingredients (Almond Flour, Tapioca Flour, Salt, Palm Sugar, and Baking Powder).
- Add in the Vanilla, Oil, and Eggs. Mix really well to form a dough.
- Separate dough into three bowls.
- Add your three flavors to the bowls, and kneed into dough.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Roll teaspoon sized balls of dough (or smaller if you have the patience) in between your palms.
- Place the baking sheet into the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Make sure to keep a close eye on them.
- Let cereal cool completely before eating. (They will get crispy as they cool).
Connect with Brittany Angell on: