Since we began Paleo Parents, we’ve been increasingly and routinely asked to review books and products by people in and adjacent to the paleo community. At this point, we get so many we are unable to actually do the reviews of the products in a timely manner! That’s why we recruited the Paleo Parents Review Team to fill in the gaps.
This week we have Anne reviewing the Squatty Potty. For those sensitive to talk of bodily functions, this product is exactly what you think it might be. For those of you who are 6 or have a very juvenile sense of humor, you will find this hilarious! If you are someone who is super serious about the workings of your bowels (like our esteemed friend Sarah, for example, who swears by it), this is a review for you! That said, we can promise you this post includes zero pictures of excrement!
We personally also have a 7″ squatty potty and have come to find that it delivers on exactly what the company promises: easier and faster “movements”. Think about what they tell women who birth naturally: squat. I would personally say the stool is worth the price, especially their new Ecco (only $29 US) which is guaranteed to work with a 60 day money back guarantee. If this post is enough to peak your interest about this interesting device but it’s just not in your budget right now…
I’ve been interested in the concept of squatting for elimination, but didn’t see myself standing on the toilet quite yet. For the past couple of months prior to testing the Squatty Potty, I’d been using a nursing stool, but that obviously wasn’t going to be as effective as using a tool specifically designed to aid in the elimination process.
Since receiving my stool for review, I’ve been using the 9” classic model for a couple of months and will say that using the nursing stool didn’t quite prepare me for the Squatty Potty. There is definitely a learning curve and I am still somewhere on that curve. The stool comes in a variety of sizes, which speak to the rise height of the stool. Of course, perhaps my idea of “go big or go home” and starting with the 9” wasn’t the smartest idea I’ve had. [Note from Stacy & Matt: we opted for the 7" and have had no issues, other than the standard get-used-to-it-awkwardness.]
Having traveled through Asia when I was younger I’d seen that they don’t use our “Western” style toilets. It was all very odd to me at that time; who’d have thought that 20+ years later I’d be anxious to try out a non-Western approach to using the bathroom. I won’t get into all of the details about why putting your body into this position is so beneficial, but anyone who has an animal can vouch for that fact that they instinctually get into this position. I thankfully don’t suffer from any ailments that cause me any distress while using the bathroom, but I can’t help but believe this system would greatly assist those who may have difficulties passing stools. [Note from Stacy & Matt: Stacy has sensitive digestion, due to her missing gallbladder, and the squatty potty aids in providing relief of stomach cramping and loose stools when foods do not agree with her. Side note: we are really embarrassed and apologize right now for TMI...]
1. Much quicker eliminations
2. Cleaner process
3. Great if you have younger children to assist them in the proper use of the toilet
1. I’ve yet to master the art of pants on use [Note from Stacy & Matt: perhaps this is related to the height of the stool, as we do not have problems with this]
2. Takes some adjustment to get used to placement of feet and hips since it’s different than what you’re used to
3. Once you get used to the ease of use, it’s hard to go back to “traditional” positions [Note from Stacy & Matt: we actually have a friend who has gotten so used to the squatty potty that they have a very difficult time going without one, but we haven't had this problem]
All in all I love my Squatty Potty and will go up 2 flights of stairs to use it. In light of my inherent laziness, I think that’s a ringing endorsement!
ENTER TO WIN YOUR OWN SQUATTY POTTY!
- Leave a comment telling us why you want to try the Squatty Potty
- Leave a comment for liking the Squatty Potty page
- Leave a comment with what social media you follow us on (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, etc.)
- Leave a comment if you place a new review for our podcast, The Paleo View, in iTunes
- Leave a comment if you have left a review for Beyond Bacon and Eat Like a Dinosaur
Remember Matt’s rules of giveaways:
- Please use a valid email address when entering. I cannot use my dowsing rods to attempt to find which bytes form your contact address!
- Please follow all the rules so I don’t get frustrated by invalid entries. Nothing makes more of a sad panda than picking a winner who I have to disqualify.
- Please respond within 48 hours or I will have to pick a new winner! I have a certain set of skills that make me a nightmare to people who don’t respond: the ability to randomly draw again.
- Please be a US resident. My mana is too low to cast a Teleportation Spell!
Giveaway will end on Wednesday, August 28 at midnight.Pin It