This week we’re visited by Denise of Edible Harmony, a Costa Rican, wife and mom who is sharing her love for real food with all who will listen! Today Denise helps us soak up the very last drop of summer with a seasonal twist on a standard breakfast dish, Blueberry Banana Frittata. This recipe caught my attention in the title alone, and impressed me with its simple creative flair. Enjoy!
I know that the thought of mixing bananas with eggs doesn’t seem appetizing at first, but if you think about it, eggs and sweeteners are basic ingredients in baking. If you properly mix the eggs with the rest of the ingredients, they don’t stand out as odd.
The same thing happens with this dish after you mix in the eggs with the banana– it really tastes like some sort of banana bread pudding, but it is lot easier to make.
This recipe was inspired by one of my most popular breakfast options: “The Banana Scramble” (www.edibleharmony.com/banana-scramble/). The Banana Scramble is the perfect healthy fix for a “sugary” breakfast, yet it is protein rich, nutrient dense and really simple and fast to make. My girls just absolutely love it and they ask for it everyday, but after a year plus of having the same breakfast almost daily, I got a little bored and decided to start experimenting with the recipe and adding different ingredients.
To make this frittata I used my oven to finish cooking the top, but depending on your large-pancake-flipping skills you may get away with cooking the top of the frittata in the pan as well. I’ll give you some tips on how to do it at the end of the recipe but if you are using a cast iron or heavy skillet, this step might be more challenging.
- 3 bananas
- 5 eggs
- 1/3 cup of almond flour or 2-3 tablespoons of coconut flour
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- ½ cup of fresh blueberries
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit. (read below for a no-bake method)
- In a medium bowl mash the bananas.
- Mix in the eggs and whisk until well combined.
- Mix in the flour and the blueberries.
- In a medium oven-safe skillet, heat the coconut oil on the stove over medium/low heat.
- Pour the mixture in the pan.
- Cook uncovered until the middle of the frittata is cooked.
- Put the frittata in the oven and cook until is fully done.
- Turn the broiler on to brown the top (optional step).
- Cook one side until the frittata is firm and at least two thirds of it are cooked.
- Cover the top of the pan with a large plate.
- Hold the plate firmly while you turn the pan upside down to drop the frittata onto the plate.
- Return the pan to the stove and slide the frittata back into the pan with the cooked side up.
- Continue cooking until it is fully done.