This 3rd installment of This Week in Ground Meat is brought to you by the ground up deer that now resides in my mini-freezer!
Wesley, carb addict extraordinaire, went through 5 helpings. The other boys loved the idea of making meatloaf muffins and then putting icing on them. We were sure we’d made enough food for tons of leftovers – but, that didn’t happen. They disappeared FAST. The added apples didn’t hurt either!
This is a great way to get a lot of food into each bite. Fantastic combination of veggies and meat that the boys devoured. We think it’s more of a hash than casserole, but no matter what you call it – it’s good eats.
Lastly, I made Curry Meat Sticks because I’m addicted to savory curry spices these days and I figured some powerful spices would serve to greatly enhance the venison I’m beginning to tire of.
Curry Meat Sticks with Eastern Tomato Sauce
Meat Stick Ingredients
2 lbs. ground meat
1 Tbsp garam masala (or other curry powder)
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cardamom
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp white pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl by hand
- Form meat around 6″ skewers, makes about 10
- Place on baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes
- Serve with cauliflower rice
2 Tbsp lard
1 small onion, diced
1 Tbsp curry powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 C diced tomatoes
1/4 C beef broth
- Melt lard oven medium-high heat in medium saucepan
- Saute onions until softened, about five minutes
- Add curry powder and salt, stir for one minute
- Add tomatoes and broth, simmer for three minutes
- Blend sauce until smooth with immersion blender or by transferring to a blender
- Return to heat and simmer for ten minutes over low heat
The boys LOVED this meal too. Cole kept telling us to take pictures of the sauce because it was the best part; we ran out before the boys were “finished” chowing down.
Not surprisingly though, the savory “cupcakes” won this week – but it wasn’t a slam duck. Wes voted with his requests (relentless chants for more). Finn always votes with whatever Cole chooses. And Cole said he couldn’t decide between the meat stick “pasta” he made and the meatloaf. Then we said he had to pick one, he said “meat cupcakes.” Well, with a name like that…Pin It