My grandmother was known for her food. Before it was cool, she was a foodie. Having lavish parties and making all the food by scratch was something she remembered fondly and would always tell stories about to us grandchildren. One of the things she loved doing, and taught my sisters and I years ago, was making her famous chocolate covered peanut butter eggs. She mixed peanut butter, cream cheese and confectioner’s sugar together, roll them into an oval and dip them in warm milk chocolate. At Easter, she’d make several batches and pass them out by the dozens.
My grandmother died 2 days after Christmas this year and I wanted to honor her memory with a version of her chocolate “peanut butter” eggs my family could enjoy. Kelly’s request for participation in a Spunky Holiday was all the motivation I needed to document the recreation to share with you all!
- 1 C dates, pits removed
- 1/2 C almond butter
- 1/2 C sunflower butter
- 1/3 C coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp creamed honey or raw honey
- 2 Tbsp almond flour
- 1 10 oz package chocolate (We use Enjoy Life Semi-sweet chips)
- In your food processor, puree the dates into a paste
- Add almond butter, sunflower butter, coconut oil, almond flour and honey and pulse until smooth
- Add mixture to sauce pan and cook over medium-low heat until it just starts to bubble
- Place in fridge for 30 minutes until it is about room temperature (Leave it in too long it will be too hard to work with, if this happens, just set it on the counter for a while until it is loose enough to work with again)
- Form into egg shapes using two spoons (the French term is quenelles)
- Chill in fridge until very stiff (we left ours overnight)
- Melt chocolate in double boiler
- Coat each egg in chocolate and set on wax paper
The flavor of these is as close to Reese’s peanut butter eggs as we can make them (they are now Matt’s favorite of all the candy we’ve made).
If this recipe isn’t exactly what you’re looking for head over to Spunky Coconut’s Easter Holiday round-up for other allergy-free blogger recipes and find the perfect thing.Pin It