We have a LOT of picnics in the spring, summer and fall. The boys love being able to run around while snacking, meeting up with friends or making a day out of sightseeing farm country and eating on the side of the road.
Our picnics look a lot different than they used to. Instead of sandwiches and chips, here’s what fits in our small cooler:
- Peeled and sliced carrots, sweet peppers or celery
- Shredded chicken with mayo and the spices you choose
- Squeeze Applesauce (or sliced apples with sunflower seed butter)
- Nuts & Dried fruit (we like brazil nuts, dried pineapple and strawberries)
- and Salami – we eat a LOT of salami. Or deli meats. Or nitrate-free hot dogs.
- For bigger meals where we’re sitting, we always include a salad too – tuna and other meat are perfect on top.
We love to dip our veggies in guacamole and use them as spoons for a shredded chicken salad. The kids all fight over who gets the salami or other meats while Wes can squeeze his own applesauce from the convenient packages.