After wild success with our Holiday Treats, we decided to get a little creative with The Spunky Coconut Scandinavian Thumbprint Cookie recipe (which is our new favorite) for Valentine’s Day. This chocolate shortbread-like base with sweet, rich cherry preserves smothered in chocolate is the epitome of romance and decadence. Here’s our adaptation of Kelly’s recipe, which all of my gluten eating friends devoured.
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, liquefied
- 3 tbsp honey or agave
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/4 cup tapioca flour, sifted*
- 1/4 cup almond flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup coconut flour, sifted
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder, sifted
- Cherry preserves
- *If you want to avoid tapioca flour, I’m sure the recipe would work with 1/3 cup of each of the other powdered ingredients.
- Add to bowl the first five ingredients and beat with electric mixer.
- Then add in gradually as you continue mixing the last four ingredients.
- Roll into little balls and place on (unbleached) parchment paper.
- Use you fingers to create an indentation and fill it with cherry preserves.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.
- While baking, melt chocolate (we use a vegan brand that’s soy free but 73% or darker is also dairy-free) over a double boiler. Drizzle melted chocolate over completed cookies.
You’ve GOT to try them, they’re way better than they should be for being sweetened with honey and applesauce. A perfect Valentines treat!