As you get ready to bake, double boil and beautify with ribbons and glitter for the 12 days of Christmas, or whichever holiday your family may choose to celebrate, consider some of our favorite Paleo(ish) treats! Although I wouldn’t call these “healthy” I will say that they offer a lot more nutrition and are less toxic to your liver than what you may have previously made at the holidays. There are lots of fun recipes to make with your kids in the following list, we hope you can make new traditions with some of these.
Plus, we figured since a lot of you are new(ish) to the site, you might not be familiar with some of our treats from last holiday season… we’ve been dusting off some of these for recent holiday parties and will be making them for gifts. We love to give away treats to friends and family at the holidays, and are happy going Paleo didn’t change that tradition for us.
Inspired by Shirley’s Gluten-Free Home for the Holidays Round-Up and Elana’s Healthy Christmas Cookie post, here are our favorite recipes for this holiday season:
- Flourless Fudgy Brownie Bites dressed up in Santa hats*
- Paleo Monkey Bread
- Brown Velvet Cupcakes
- German Chocolate Cake Balls
- Coconut Candy
- Peanut Butter Jelly Time Candy
- Chocolate Covered Cherry Cookies
- Snickerdoodle Whoopie Pies
- Pumpkin Butter and Apple Butter
- Pumpkin Cider Latte
- Apple Pie Cupcakes
- Nona’s Chocolate “Reese’s” Eggs
While talking about so many sweets recipes, I want to address coconut sugar. We made this post, after reading this and talking with Tropical Traditions. Then it was pointed out to us that there are a few sources (like this and this) that say coconut sugar is sustainable. Here’s the thing, we don’t know because we’re not coconut farmers. So, anytime we say “unrefined granulated sugar” use palm, coconut, cane, whatever works for you – it just needs to be granulated. We’re working on an “ingredients” page for the site and hope to have it figured out by then!
And a few ubiquitous reminders:
- Our book, Eat Like a Dinosaur, is available for pre-order, which guarantees you the lowest price. You only pay when it ships in March… print out a picture for a holiday gift!
- We’ve temporarily reduced the price on our t-shirts, which are guaranteed to arrive by Christmas (by Spreadshirt) only for a few more days.
- US Wellness Meats has our favorite 75/25 ground beef on sale for 15% off, plus another $25 if you buy 40lbs or more of any meat. Bulk up with that and our favorite Beef Snack Sticks!
- Tropical Traditions Giveaway ends 12/14. Only 75 entrants via the “share” so far! Good chances for you if you enter! Use code 121112 for 10% off their site today, too.
- If you’re on Twitter, we’d love your nomination for Washington Posts’ DC Tweeps Favorite Foodie
- Nominate your favorite Paleo peeps for the Wego Health Activist Awards of 2011, let’s get Paleo mainstreamed! I nominated Robb for “Hero”, Diane for Motivator, Angelo for Paperboy and Liz for Humor… still stewing on a few others.
- If you’re holiday shopping on Amazon, we’d very much appreciate you starting your order through the Amazon search box for our site sidebar (or this link). It doesn’t cost you anything but helps support our blog.
*Photo and genius idea credit Daisy’s World, which is full of (non-paleo) gorgeous food photography and recipes!